Website 01377 236282
Tourist Info 01482 391634

Bridlington Tourist Information.


History Menu

The Pirate Radio Station

Mike Wilson, Bridlington writer and historian

Radio 270 was to be a radio station for Yorkshire. A group of northern businessmen decided to set up an offshore commercial radio station.
The vessel Oceaan Vll was purchased in February 1966 with the intention of broadcasting on 1st April, 1966. However, the start was cancelled due to the non-arrival of American parts. The following day, heavy seas damaged the radio mast.
The Oceaan VII was built by A. Vuijk & Zonen of Capelle in 1939, and just over 36 metres long. She weighed 179 tons, and the radio mast was 47 metres in height.
Eventually, broadingcasting started on 4th June, 1966, on 1115kHz (269metres), with a power of 10kW. Technical problems forced the station off the air several times in the first few weeks.
Bad weather in July 1966 put the station off the air again as she was forced to take shelter. On 21st July 1966, the Oceaan VII entered Bridlington for provisions and to repair damage to the aerial. Soon Radio 270 was back on the air.
The radio station was the centre of a malicious letter in October that year. The radio station had told the post office that no unstamped mail would be accepted. The Scarborough post office found that inside was a note which read: "There is a limpet mine attached to the ship. This is not a hoax." In the end, no mine was found.
A seized main shaft bearing forced the station off air in early November. A tug had to give assistance so that repairs could be carried out. Not long afterwards, Radio 270 was broadcasting again. The vessel was then anchored in a more sheltered position off Bridlington after further problems became obvious later in November and into December.
A further problem materialised when jelly fish were sucked into the cooling water intake in early August the following year. This caused equipment to fail.
When the Marine Offences Act came into effect, it was decided to close Radio 270 down. This act affected all pirate radio stations.
It was hoped that all the broadcasting staff would be on board to say farewell, but rough weather made this impossible. An official enquiry followed when the authorities discovered that a helicopter from Leconfield had been involved.
After the final broadcast, staff were taken off at midnight and they arrived on shore , where they were met by a crowd of well-wishers. The following day the vessel sailed to Whitby.
The mast and broadcasting equiment were later removed and the vessel offered for sale at £12,500. She was later broken up when a buyer could not be found.