From: The Architect, 20th July, 1878
ST ANNE'S ORPHANAGE AND CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL
These premises, when finished, are intended to accommodate 150 inmates; at present only a portion is completed. As the building has been erected by public subscriptions, the funds did not allow of the whole scheme, which includes a church, being carried out at once. The entire management is vested in a council, Mr W. C. Worsley being chairman, and Mr C. F. Butterfield, secretary.
The building fronts south and west, the main elevations being 150 feet long, faced with local red stock bricks, having coloured brick strings and arches. Stone is very sparingly used, on account of the expense; the roof is covered with blue slates and red ridges. Special care has been taken with the lighting and ventilation.
The present portion has been carried out by Mr Thos. Gray, as sole contractor, at a cost of about £3,800, from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr J. Earnshaw, architect, of Bridlington Quay. The amount required to complete the Orphanage (exclusive of furnishing) is about £2,000.
The institution, so far as at present completed, was opened on 1st July, the number of beds being 82.
The architect was Joseph Earnshaw.