Within the iron gate, immediately to the right of the entrance, will be seen an iron chain to which is attached an iron collar.
This was used for the punishment of "scolds" or women offenders who had committed an offence by slander, etc.
The collar was commonly called a "joug". This form of punishment was used as late as 1669, and a record is found in the Churchwarden's accounts for that year showing the cost of having a new one made. Of course, the collar was fixed outside the church where the offender would be seen by passers by.