In order to obtain a general idea of the magnificence and size of the Priory the Visitor should enter by the SW tower door and, then turning immediately to the left, let his gaze travel over the North side of the Nave. Perhaps this is the most impressive and beautiful view to be obtained.
Observe now in more detail the North side, noting first the clustered pillars springing from quadrangular bases.
Each pillar is composed of four large shafts at the angles and between them in pairs are eight smaller shafts, making twelve in all. The height and girth are superbly proportioned, and the plain capitals add further to the restrained dignity and majesty of the pillars crowned with arcading which dates from about 1250.
The ten bays of early English arcading lose nothing of their bold lines in the deep mouldings which adorn them. With the exception of the two eastern-most arches all have a label terminating either in a head or foliage perfectly carved. The decorated triforium and derestory, which were added about 1270 bring added lustre to the arcading. Note the tracery work exquisitely designed both in the semi-circular and pointed-arch. This "blind triforium", crowned with the clerestory, which contains a gallery running from East to West, gives a richness and grace to the North side which has no peer in the country.