Website 01377 236282
Tourist Info 01482 391634

Bridlington.net

Bridlington Tourist Information.


 

Bridlington Priory

This Bridlington Priory section of the Bridlington web site is dedicated to the memory of John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D. the author of the information within this section, without whom this section would not be possible.

The site upon which the Priory stands has been the scene of civilisation for thousands of years. At Easton and Huntow, two hamlets within the present ecclesiastical parish, flint instruments of the Lower Palaeolithic Age have been found in sufficient numbers to conclude the "Palaeolithic Man", who flourished fifteen to twenty thousand years ago, was here engaged in the industry of axe making. Below you will find summaries of our Bridlington history corner content, simply click on the Read More button to load full information for each item or alternatively select from the menu listings below.


Priory Menu



  • A brief introduction to Bridlington Priory

    This Bridlington Priory section of the Bridlington web site is dedicated to the memory of John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D. the author of the information within this section, without whom this section would not be possible.

    The site upon which the Priory stands has been the scene of civilisation for


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Ancient Records

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The Bridlington Priory Registers have been well preserved and are complete from 1564. These records are naturally often consulted since they also refer to the ancient townships which at one time were in the ancient Parish of Bridlington.


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Arms

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The Three B's

    The three "Bs" always evoke inquiries as to their meaning and origin. Neither can be answered with certainty. We know, however, that the armorial belonged to the Priory in the sixteenth century. The heraldic description is per pale, sable, and argent, three Roman "Bs" counter changed, two


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Chancel

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    It will be seen that the Chancel extends the full length of three bays, and that the arcading is filled in with oak parclose screens in the Gothic style. The Choir Stalls, three tiers on each side, are solidly built in English oak, and are gracefully surmounted by carved figures,


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Clock & Bells

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

     The large weights behind the gate on the right of the entrance which travel up to the height of sixty feet are part of the mechanism of the clock, which has dials on each side of the tower except the North side.

    The clock was erected in 1879 and fully


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory East Side

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The East end looks like some strongly fortified castle with its massive buttresses. These immense buttresses enclose the lower part of the two western piers of the former central tower. Within the buttress to the South there still remains the spiral staircase which once led up to the bell-chamber. The


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory East Window

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    No one can look at the East window without observing that the East wall is not square with the arcading of the chancel. The plan on page 4 (of the original leaflet available at the priory) showing the ground plan of the entire Priory buildings before the Dissolution clearly indicates that


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Font

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The Font, probably of the fourteenth century, is plain in design and of dignified proportions. Worked in Frosterly marble it stands upon a square base set compass-wise which in turn rests on an octagonal base of Hopton Wood stone.

    The Font suffered much at the hands of the restorers during


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Founders Stone

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    Perhaps the most interesting and most ancient object in the Priory is the large black stone which is set up tablewise on two panelled pedestals. Many theories have been advanced concerning its origin and interpretation. It is of Tournai marble and its period can therefore be fairly well established by


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Monastic Buildings

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    A lucid account of the extent and magnificence of the Monastery can be gathered from the report of Richard Pollard, a surveyor of Henry VIII. The Church, cruciform in design with a steeple at the crossing, was more than 390 feet in length, being second only in size in Yorkshire


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Mural Tablets

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The first group of memorials are to the Creyke family. The detail of the carved pall in marble which drapes the urn so realistically is worthy of attention.

    The large brass is unique for its size and inscription which commemorates no less than 32 members of the family from 1567-1877.


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory North Aisle

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The North wall, with its beautiful lancet windows, is the oldest part of the Priory, the lower courses being Norman work. Along the wall will be seen a stone seat. Such seating alone was provided for the people in medieval times, and was used chiefly by the aged and infirm.


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory North Side

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The North Side contains the oldest part of the Priory, especially the lower part of the wall from the tower to the North Porch. The charm of this Porch is to be found chiefly inside, for the upper part has been much restored, including the groined roof in which can


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Organ

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    In 1789 the first Organ was installed to take the place of a quartet of two violins., a bassoon and a clarinet. A larger instrument was erected in 1834, which was replaced in 1889 by an instrument built by Messrs. Anneessens of Belgium. It possessed all the brightness characteristic of


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Pulpit

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The Pulpit, on its stone base, is in the fourteenth century style and was erected in 1850, being removed to its present site in 1957. The panelling, canopy and spiral staircase with entrance grille were added in 1960.

    The deeply panelled work supporting the sound-board canopy has for its chief


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Side Chapel

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    To the East of the Screen in the South Aisle is the beautiful Side-Chapel, designed and wrought by the same architect and craftsmen, respectively, mentioned in the previous section.

    The gift of anonymous donors, the Chapel was dedicated to the glory of God and in honour of St. John of


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory Smiling Lady

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    On the left, in the centre of the pillar where the Nave arcading meets the arch of the Tower can be seen a springer of remarkable beauty.

    The base of it is an exquisitely carved woman's head, perfect in every detail even to the line of the curls in her


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory South Aisle

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The first tablet West of the Screen is to Elizabeth Hickman, of whom it is written, "She was an obedient wife, had an agreeable person, and a fine understanding improved by a polite education. She died 31 July A.D. 1730 The 71". The marble bust, set in the niche with


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory South Side

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D

    The South side of the Nave has the same Early English arcading but it will be noted that the three western-most pillars do not have shafts but are quadrangular in shape, having a flat surface adorned with Perpendicular panelling similar to that on the wall beneath the Great West Window.


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory The Nave

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D

    In order to obtain a general idea of the magnificence and size of the Priory the Visitor should enter by the SW tower door and, then turning immediately to the left, let his gaze travel over the North side of the Nave. Perhaps this is the most impressive and beautiful


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory War Memorial

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D

    The suggestion that the War Memorial should take the form of these magnificent screen originated with the offer of the "Roll of Honour" of "C" Squadron of the 23rd Hussars- The Squadron had trained in Bridlington and in the Priory performed its last corporate and public act of worship before


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory West End

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The same principle of a strengthening Perpendicular screen is to be seen in the Great West Window.

    The window extends the full width of the Nave and fills all the height above the Great West Doors. It can now be seen quite clearly that the tracery above the screen is


    More Info

  • Bridlington Priory West Side

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    On entering the churchyard at the South West corner and going northwards there can be obtained a full view of the West Front. The attention is at once arrested by the contrasting styles of architecture so harmoniously blending to give a lasting impression of magnificence, stateliness and beauty.

    The North


    More Info

  • Cloister Arcading

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    Fragments of the cloisters found in the churchyard have been reconstructed and erected here in memory of Thomas Harland and his family who took a prominent part in the nineteenth-century Restoration.

    All the capitals and arches are original but in some places new shafts have been used. This twin-shafted arcade


    More Info

  • North Aisle Windows

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    There now remain eight windows, which form a series of Old Testament studies. A cursory glance will immediately show the superb craftsmanship of this series. Authorities in modern painted glass assert that these windows possess some of the finest modern glass in the country, and that as a series it


    More Info

  • Sacrarium or Sanctuary

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    During the nineteenth century restoration the pre-Reformation High Altar Stone, an which are to been seen the five consecration crosses, was laid in the floor at the top of the three steps. Upon this stone now stands the beautifully designed Holy Table, behind which on the East wall is the


    More Info

  • Scolds Collar

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    Within the iron gate, immediately to the right of the entrance, will be seen an iron chain to which is attached an iron collar.

    This was used for the punishment of "scolds" or women offenders who had committed an offence by slander, etc.

    The collar was commonly called a


    More Info

  • South Aisle Windows

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The first window from the East in the South aisle has for its subject the Apostle Paul. The oak screen which separates the Sacrarium from the Rector's vestry rather obtrudes itself when the window is viewed from the chancel, but even from this position the colourful beauty of the glass


    More Info

  • South-West Tower Window

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The window immediately over the South-West door depicts in the five lower lights, reading from left to right, the following scenes:-

    (I) The Annunciation, To the left is depicted the angel Gabriel and on the right the Blessed Virgin Mary, The Holy Spirit is symbolised by the dove overhead, The


    More Info

  • The Foundation of Bridlington Priory

    Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.

    The Manor of Bridlington, formerly held by Earl Morcar and in 1072 forfeited by him to the Crown, was granted by William the Conqueror to Gilbert de Gaunt or Gant, who accompanied him from Normandy. The property, along with other great possessions, was inherited by his son, Walter de Gaunt,


    More Info