This is the wooden switchback railway which operated ifrom 1888. The horses and carts are likely to contain countryfolk from the surrounding villages, many of whom travelled to Bridlington for their holidays that way. Sometimes, the horses were 'dressed' and competitions were held for the 'best-dressed horses.'
The estate was sold in 1912 and the Switchback was dismantled. Lamplugh Road was built on the site.