The Light Railways Act, 1896, allowed interested parties to set up light railways, and Bridlington featured in two Acts, one in 1897, the second in 1898.
The first was the Flamborough and Bridlington Light Railways Order, 1897, which authorised the construction of light railways between those two places.
There were four such lines proposed: the first starting opposite the Britannia Hotel in Prince Street and terminating "at a point in St John's Street opposite the southern side of Bayle Gate." The second started in Prince Street opposite to Spring Pump Slipway (at a junction with the first railway) and ended in Marton Gate where the road known as Sewerby Heads joins that road. The third line started at this point and went to a junction in the road from Bempton to Marton opposite the end of Sheeprake Lane. The fourth line ran into Flamborough from the previous line. The railway was to be standard gauge (4ft 81/2in. wide) or "such other gauge as may from time to time be determined by the company."
The Bridlington and North Frodingham Light Railway Order 1898 allowed for a standard gauge railway of over nine miles commencing near the western end of Carnaby station at a junction with the Hull to Scarborough line. The line would terminate "in a field abutting on the southern side of the public road from North Frodingham to Beeford." The motive power of this line "shall be steam or such other motive power as the Board of Trade may approve."
The increasing use of road transport killed off these and similar light railways and the Act was never a great success. By the 1920s most of the companies had disappeared, some of the lines having never been constructed.