Boys' Own leaves the harbour, with Thornwick alongside North Pier.
Boys' Own arrived in Bridlington in 1938. She had been built by Cook, Welton & Gemmel Ltd., her original owners being J. Newby and Consortium.
When built she could carry 172 passengers and was powered by twin 88hp Kelvin diesel engines which at 750rpm gave her a speed of 10 knots. Her registered tonnage was 25.2 tons. The skipper then was J. R. Newby and the engineer Mr W. Newby.
The vessel had undergone Board of Trade trials in the Humber and was tested three times over a measured mile, twice against the tide and once with it. The average speed was 10 knots. She was fitted with a saloon bar and a separate ladies' cabin aft.
During the war the vessel saw service with the R.A.S.C. on the Tees, Tyne and Humber. She was said to be the first boat to shoot at a German plane.
During the 1950s, she was structurally altered by Trevor Silverwood and renamed Flamborian. Her original engines were replaced by twin Gardner 6LXs at 116hp each.
She had a steel riveted hull with cruiser stern and straight stem and was 21.5m overall in length, with a beam of 5.2m. She had a 1.4m draught and was nearly 1.7m out of the water. Her fuel consumption was about six gallons per hour. Her gross tonnage was 52.22 with a registered tonnage of 227.37.
When cruising from Bridlington, there was a bar and toilets on board, and during cruises a running commentary was given by the crew. She carried up to 180 passengers on various cruises around Bridlington Bay, viewing the shipping lanes, Flamborough Head and the seabird colony at Bempton.
In 1995, Flamborian cost her owners £1784 + VAT in harbour charges.
Flamborian left Bridlington in 1998, and after being on the south coast for a while, she is currently on the Seine near Paris as a houseboat.
In the picture above, Flamborian leaves Bridlington harbour for one of her last cruises. Shortly after this photograph was taken she sailed once again. I enjoyed a great sail and was the last paying passenger to leave the vessel. A little later she sailed for Swanage, accompanied across the Bay by Yorkshire Belle.
Boys' Own about to leave for another cruise. Note the old commercial fishing building on the left, and the lack of Ebor Flats on the right.
An early crew for the Boys' Own.